KUQA, Xinjiang -- Police in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region said eight terrorists who carried out a series of explosions early Sunday were shot dead and two others blew themselves up dead.
The serial explosions occurred in the early hours on Sunday in some supermarkets, hotels and government buildings in Kuqa County, killing a security guard and injuring two policemen, two civilians and a security guard, the Xinjiang Public Security Department said.
Eight terrorists were shot dead by police while two others killed themselves by suicidal bombings, the department said.
Police have arrested two terrorists and are searching three others still at large. Thirteen civilians were rescued and dozens of bomb devices yet to blow up were seized.
Buildings or houses in many sites were damaged in the bombings.
Police and cleaning crews have largely cleared the scenes of the deadly bombings. And the county's public security order had been restored by 7 p.m. Sunday.
A shop owner told Xinhua that the first bombing took place shortly after 2 a.m., when some 20 people were still having cold drinks in front of his shop at the intersection of Jiefang Road and Wenhuazhonglu Road.
"Suddenly there was a big bang, the customers and I just ran away," said the owner, who declined to give his name. "When I looked back, my shop was totally destroyed," he said.
Editor: canton fair